Citrus Cured Salmon
Once you learn to cure your own fish you'll never buy the supermarket version again. This recipe is super simple and only requires a few ingredients. It's really important to buy a nice piece of salmon. Have a chat with your fish monger. Don't be afraid to ask to smell the fish. Fresh salmon should smell like the sea, not "fishy."
- 1 lb skin on salmon filet
- 1 cup coarse kosher salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbs lemon zest
- 1 tbs lime zest
- 1 tbs orange zest
- 1 tsp chili flake
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- In a small bowl combine the salt, sugar zest and spices .
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Spread half the citrus salt and sugar mixture onto the tray. Place the salmon onto the salt bed skin side down. Sprinkle the remaining salt mixture over the top of the salmon.
- Wrap the whole tray in plastic wrap and place another tray or heavy plate on top to weigh the salmon down. Refrigerate for 24 hrs.
- Unwrap salmon and remove it from salt mixture. Rinse salmon and pat dry using paper towels. Slice thinly with a very sharp knife. Serve on toast with cream cheese, capers and sliced tomato!